Do you need a permit for your BBQ?
Fire and Emergency New Zealand
You don’t need a fire permit for a charcoal BBQ or grill in a restricted fire season if you meet the following safety requirements:
● You must have a suitable way to extinguish it within easy reach.
● Don’t use on an apartment balcony, deck, under a roof overhang or within other enclosed areas.
● You must have a suitable way to extinguish the fire within easy reach — a maximum of 5 metres away.
● You must not leave unsupervised while burning.
You don’t need a fire permit for gas BBQs, cookers or heaters, but we recommend you:
● Check the fire danger and avoid lighting when the fire danger is Very High or Extreme.
● Regularly check and maintain any gas fittings and connections.
● Have a no-go zone to keep kids and pets safe.
● Have a suitable means to extinguish your fire within easy reach, a maximum of 5 metres away.
● Do not leave your fire unsupervised while burning. n
© Fire and Emergency New Zealand. Creative Commons (CC-BY-NC-ND)
Photo: © 2011 Ben Sutherland CC2.0